Residential Events

Residentials are where memories are made!

Residential events create special memories for our members young and old.  However, it is important to have the right qualifications and paperwork in place to ensure everyone is safe whilst they are having fun.  Our outdoor team is here to help with advice and support when you are arranging your residential.  They can be contacted on

If you want to take girls away, a good place to start is the Girlguiding page ‘Going on Residentials‘ which will give you tips and the processes which need to be followed.  All the documents you might need can also be downloaded from the Girlguiding website.

Although much of the planning and paperwork can take place 12 weeks before the event, you will have to consider if you have the correct qualification and if your venue is approved and it is best to look at this as early as possible.

Your venue must be approved by Girlguiding.  If you are not sure, please contact the outdoor team.

Sunset over campsiteThe leader in charge must have a qualification under the Going Away Scheme which is appropriate for the type of residential you are planning.  If you do not hold this qualification, you should contact the outdoor team as soon as possible to arrange an assessment and to be assigned a mentor.

Are you going to be responsible for catering at an event?  Although not compulsory, the Girlguiding catering scheme will teach you everything you need to know from planning to hygiene.

If you are looking for a venue for your residential, we have a number of local sites which are ideal.  You can see these on our Residential Sites page.  If you are looking for something further afield, Girlguiding’s activity centres are a good place to start.

To celebrate your nights away, why not consider tracking how many nights you or your young members have spent on guiding adventures and start collecting Anglia region’s Nights Away badges?  You can download a card to keep track and badges can be purchased by leaders from the Anglia shop.